Coming together – analysis starts to run into design, I think it’s a bit of a grey/green area…
The process here was to look at all the permaculture principles I could find and start to analyse the vision and objectives from that perspective. Where could I find the principles in my plan so far?
It was a really useful process – I learned that there was no way I could prioritise all of the principles in one design and some of them were taking precedence over others. There were some weaknesses though, where there were principles I really wanted to integrate into the design that weren’t being thought about at all so far. These were:
- Design From Patterns to Detail (see below)
- Edge Effects / Use and value edge (see below)
Because of this, I started to think about the positioning of the trees, which links to the use of Relative Placement principle, but also how I could design from a pattern in nature but also achieve some benefits to other possible elements and functions in the design.
I came up with a spiral design that will eventually create some privacy around the the Yurt area in the field; provide a central space for reflection / meditation; and will be close to the out-buildings for apple harvesting, processing and storage. More of this in a later post.
Using and valuing edge needs some more thought!
I used mind maps for this process which really worked for me – I’d previously done some very methodical analysis using the Keyline Scale of Permanence which was great, but a little linear, not not very ‘free thinking’.
I’d had some feedback from my design group that this had looked very thorough but that it would perhaps be nice to see a little more free-form thought in the analysis and design. Mind maps were a great tool to allow this to happen and it also prompted me to be a bit more freeform in the placement of the trees as well.